White Bean 'n' Olive Toasts
This appetizer is one of my favorites to serve to guests at holiday get-togethers.Shirley A. Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 10 pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 18 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup beans. Add the olives, 1 tablespoon
- parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from
- the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread with
- mashed bean mixture. Sprinkle with tomatoes, and remaining beans and
- parsley. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 appetizer equals 56 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 166 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.