White Bean 'n' Ham Soup
"White Bean 'n' Ham Soup, for example is a winner on all three levels," she explains. "It's economical quick and yummy!"
Bissy notes that while canned beans make this hearty main dish a fast fix, you can say money by soaking and cooking dry beans instead.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Mash one can of beans; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute the
- carrots and onion in butter. Stir in the water, ham, seasonings and
- whole and mashed beans; cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 162 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 860 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.