"A friend of mine gave me this recipe, and it's delicious," says Stephanie Land of Sudbury, Ontario.
- 1-1/2 cups dried great northern beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add enough water to cover beans by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the broth, water, beans, carrots, red peppers, celery, barley, 1/4 cup parsley, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as White Bean 'N' Barley Soup in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p47
Reviews for White Bean 'N' Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review