White 'n' Sweet Mashed Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a staple of Southern cooking here in North Carolina. Combined with russet potatoes, this recipe makes simple mashed potatoes a very special treat.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place russet potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and
- cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes with the milk, butter, salt,
- cinnamon and nutmeg until potatoes reach desired consistency. Yield:
- 8 servings.