Whistling Marinated Chicken Recipe
WHEN I was a girl, I helped my father prepare Sunday dinner. He sparked my interest in cooking, and we often made this dish together. Papa allowed me to do all the chopping. When I did so, he'd tell me to whistle. Why? Because he knew if I whistled, I wouldn't be eating what I chopped! -Harriet Cremeen, Hensley, Arkansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour half into
- 2. a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add chicken; seal bag and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- 3. Drain marinade from chicken. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Add reserved marinade and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 4. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC