Whipped Vegetable Trio Recipe
When you only have a few potatoes and want them mashed, fill in with parsnips -a root vegetable similar in shape to a carrot. The first frost of the season turns their starch to sugar, giving parsnips a subtle, sweet taste. Cook potatoes, carrots and parsnips together for a twist on garden-variety whipped potatoes. —LeAnn Bird, West Jordan, Utah
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives or parsley, optional
- Place the first four ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Place vegetables in a large bowl; add the salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid. Mash until creamy. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Whipped Vegetable Trio in Taste of Home Annual Recipes Annual 2013
Reviews for Whipped Vegetable Trio
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 27, 2014
This is a great alternative to mashed potatoes - I have also tried substituting turnip for the carrots - also great. Add a bit of cream for more richness.