Whipped Squash Recipe
- 1 butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring squash, water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt if desired to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- 2. Drain; transfer to a bowl. Add butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and remaining salt if desired; beat until smooth. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with margarine and without salt) equals 1 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 86 calories, 37 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 4 gm fat.