This is an excellent way to serve one of the season's most delicious vegetablesbutternut squash. Its rich flavor and golden harvest color really come through in this smooth vegetable side dish.
Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring squash, water and 1/2 teaspoon
- of salt if desired to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20
- minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Drain; transfer to a bowl. Add butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and
- remaining salt if desired; beat until smooth. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with margarine and without salt) equals 1 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 86 calories, 37 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 4 gm fat.