Whipped Autumn Vegetables
“This puts my sweet potato crop to delicious use. I've substituted butternut squash for the sweet potatoes with equally yummy results." Undertones of apple make this mildly sweet, creamy dish stand out. Kathy Rairigh - Milford, Indiana
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 large)
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place the sweet potatoes, parsnips and apricots in a large saucepan;
- cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for
- 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring apple cider to a boil; cook
- until reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Drain vegetable mixture; cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add the butter, salt, pepper and reduced cider. Cover and process
- for 1-2 minutes or until blended.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 159 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.