- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups chili sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 18 mini buns, split
- Additional chopped pepperoncini, sliced red onion, dill pickle slices and stone-ground mustard, optional
- Trim roast; sprinkle with steak seasoning. Cut roast in half. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat; brown meat in batches. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, discarding vegetables and bay leaf; skim fat. Shred meat with two forks. Return meat and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Using tongs, place meat on bun bottoms. Serve with cooking juices for dipping and top as desired. Yield: 18 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Where's the Beef
"My family is anti-vegetable, and I never remember to buy fresh herbs when I shop. I swapped out the onion, celery and basil for dried versions. I also subbed crushed red pepper flakes for the pepperoncini. The roast was so tender it fell into shreds with a slight touch. I served up the meat on kaiser rolls, with chopped red onion, fresh cracked black pepper and mustard."
"This maybe the best sandwich I have ever had!!! I put the beef on Italian herb bread with Mayo, red onions, and pepperoncinis. Definitely serve with the juices. That's what puts this sandwich over the top!"
"I loved this and made an extra batch and gave it to my daughter, it also freezes well."
"This was a huge hit at a recent family gathering. It was very easy to make and the beef had excellent flavor, so moist and tasty! Don't skip the dill pickles and pepperoncini, they really make it super delicious. Thanks for this great recipe!"
"These were amazing. Definitely do the dip part!"