The nutty whole wheat taste comes through in these delicious waffles. Crispy and light with a subtle orange flavor, they make an appealing breakfast or supper when served with sausage. Topped with your favorite fruit and whipped cream, they even make a satisfying dessert.
-Phyllis Herlocker, Farlington, Kansas
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form; set
- aside. In another small bowl, beat egg yolk, milk, oil and orange
- juice. Combine flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder and salt;
- stir into milk mixture. Fold in egg white.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's
- directions until golden brown. Yield: 5 waffles.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 262 calories, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.