Wheat Germ Streusel Banana Muffins Recipe
Using a mild oil like canola adds moisture and tenderness without changing flavor. “You’ll love the good, healthy feeling and great taste these muffins provide!” Trisha Kruse - Eagle, ID
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the bananas, egg, oil and applesauce until well blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter. For streusel, combine the brown sugar, wheat germ and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 10 muffins.
1 muffin equals 203 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC