Wheat Germ Streusel Banana Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the bananas, egg, oil and applesauce until well blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter. For streusel, combine the brown sugar, wheat germ and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 10 muffins.
Reviews for Wheat Germ Streusel Banana Muffins(9)
Sort By :
I have made this recipe many times as bread instead of muffins. I always double the recipe because my family will devour one loaf as soon as it is out of the oven. The other loaf is gone the next day by breakfast.
This recipe is wonderful. The muffins are moist and taste delicious! I didn't have any nuts so I added some wheat germ to the muffins and a little bit of bulgar to add some fiber. You can not even tell how healthy they are. They whole batch was gone in minutes!
Delicious! The family loved it and wants more. I didn't have the applesauce on hand, so I used a extra Tbsp of oil. Used pecans instead of walnuts...personal preference. Thanks, TOH!
These were fabulous. I increased the whole wheat flour to 3/4 cup and used 3/4 cup all purpose. I also skipped the walnuts (personal taste) and used 1 TBS of canola oil in place of the butter to lower the fat even more. I baked the muffins in a jumbo muffin pan so I had to bake about 25 minutes. My dad couldn't even tell they were low fat or made with whole grain flour. If I make again will probably increase the whole wheat flour more since I couldn't tell this last time.
I followed the recipe and there wasn't enough liquid so I added about 1/4 C. applesauce total, that helped. I also ended up with 15 muffins in my regular size pan so my pan must be on the smaller side. Overall good flavor, I will make them again but this time I will add cinnamon to the batter for more flavor