Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
This hearty salad is bursting with harvest flavors and healthful omega-3s. The chewy wheat berries, sweet-tart dried cherries and crunchy walnuts make a winning combination.—Nancy Lange, Phoenix, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups wheat berries
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place wheat berries in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, celery, walnuts, cherries, parsley and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 323 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC