Western-Style Beef and Beans
This hearty, crowd-pleasing dish is a comforting meal on a chilly night with bread and a salad. It also makes a delicious side dish. It doesn't take long to make but tastes like it simmered all day.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) baked beans with molasses
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onions and celery
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Dissolve bouillon in water;
- stir into beef mixture. Add the beans, ketchup, mustard, garlic,
- salt and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer to an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at
- 375° for 60-70 minutes or until bubbly; stir. Sprinkle with
- bacon. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 405 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 1,777 mg sodium,