Western Skillet Recipe
Onion soup mix accents the flavor of this easy beef-and-rice combo shared by Carol Trussler, "Just add a green salad, and your meal is ready," says the Petersburg, Ontario cook. TIP: Don't have these exact ingredients on hand? Feel free to replace the frozen peas with corn or green beans, or use Swiss cheese instead of shredded cheddar cheese.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomatoes, rice, peas and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC