Western Range Sandwiches Recipe
I found this recipe in a cookbook left to me by my mother. Over the past 20 years, it's been a big hit with my family, especially with those who love kidney beans. Using English muffins instead of hamburger buns is a nice change. - Mauvereen Cannady, Portage, Wisconsin
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. Cook beef, onion and green pepper in drippings until meat is no longer pink. Add beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, pepper and bacon.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Spoon onto English muffin halves. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC