"I love to fix this saucy casserole for potluck dinners or when I need to feed a crowd," shares Janice Thompson of Martin, Michigan. "The zippy potatoes go well with grilled foods such as barbecued chicken and beef shish kabobs."
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 cooked medium red potatoes, cubed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute red pepper and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the soup, milk, chilies, salt, cayenne if desired and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese until melted. Add potatoes; stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes for until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Western Potatoes in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p12
Reviews for Western Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2010
"I've made this for several family functions. In fact, my often asked to bring them to events. They're great and easy to double!"