Believe it or not, I originally heard this recipe on a television commercial! That was many years ago, and I still make this hash often. Try it with some corn bread or corn chips on the side.—Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced process cheese or 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, green pepper, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Top with cheese slices or shredded cheddar; cook until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Western Hash in Country Ground Beef 1993, p74
Reviews for Western Hash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review