- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced process cheese or 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, green pepper, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Top with cheese slices or shredded cheddar; cook until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Western Hash
Sort By :
I agree with the other comment that there isn't enough liquid to cook a cup of rice. I ended up adding a cup or so of leftover cooked rice instead and that worked out fine.
I live at an elevation of 6200 ft There isn't enough fluid to cook a cup of rice. I'm going to try to modify the recipe as I like all the ingredients