Western Black Bean Dip
This hearty bean dip is full of flavors from the Southwest. After one taste, you'll know how good it is and wonder how it can be good for you, too!Pat Cassity, Boise, Idaho
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped green onions, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped tomato, divided
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the beans, 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 cup
- tomato, salsa, garlic and chili powder in oil for 4-6 minutes or
- until heated through, gently mashing the beans while heating.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons cheese and the cilantro.
- Transfer to a serving dish; top with the remaining cheese, onions
- and tomato. Serve warm with chips. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 92 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.