Western Beef and Cornmeal Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Stir in remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine all crust ingredients except 1/2 cup cheddar cheese; mix well. Spread on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or 10-in. ovenproof skillet.
- 3. Pour filling into prepared crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 452 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 1195mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Western Beef and Cornmeal Pie
"Followed comment below and cooked crust 10 min and then added sauce.. Corneal crust turned out great although overpowered by sauce inside. Took longer than expectedto make and flavor of dish is two thumbs down at this home."
"Hubby and I both gave this a B . The crust cooked fine in my Corning Ware oval casserole dish, but it was a bit thick so I discarded some of it the second time. We noticed it is even better the second day!"
"I would have given this a higher rating except for one factor. The cornmeal crust was still mush on the bottom and sides, except the edges were done at 30 mins. It needs to be pre-baked for about 10 minutes before you put the filling in so the whole crust is crispy. I also made 2 changes. I didn't have baking powder so I used 2 small boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix. I also took out the sugar because BBQ sauce is so sweet. I don't know if this made the cornmeal crust so mushy, but I can't see what the difference would be from the scratch. We will try this again doing the pre-bake on the crust."
"My husband and i liked this. I added 1/4 chopped onion little garlic powder and seasoning salt, in place of reg salt. Baked for 35-40 min. Then added more cheese after baking. Can use reg flour instead of all purpose. Turned out great!"
"The combination of flavors was really different for us. Neither my husband nor myself liked this dish at all. I followed the directions accurately but the barbecue sauce and tomato paste combination was just not good. The crust recipe was great, we just didn't like the filling."
"whole family loved it. did not have Mexican corn, added salsa."
"This was delicious! I did have to bake this in a different pan since I don't have an ovenproof skillet. I also used 1/2 lb of beef and added in a can of rinsed and drained black beans. Also used tomato sauce in place of the tomato paste."