Western Beef and Corn Casserole Recipe
I've been extra busy since our baby daughter was born a few months ago. That's why this easy-as-pie main dish is filed at the front of my recipe box! My husband really likes its Western flavors of beef, corn and wheat…especially since we raise the last two ingredients here on our family farm! —Deb Poitz, Fort Morgan, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup hickory-flavored sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- 2. For crust, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg.
- 3. Spread crust mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 434 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 1,277 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC