- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup hickory-flavored sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg.
- Spread crust mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Western Beef and Corn Casserole
"The online recipe is missing part of the sentence that should say "1/2 cup hickory-flavored or regular bbq sauce". Kind of an important phrase to be missing! I cut out the original recipe so have it in print. I have made this many times! I make one and half times the cornbread base and bake it in a 9 X 13 pan. Sometimes I add a can of black beans (drained & rinsed). Use 1 cup of frozen corn instead of canned. This is fantastic!"
"Hickory sauce would be a commercial barbecue sauce flavor. I use KC Masterpiece Hickory in this recipe and it's great."
"this looks good but I have a question. what is hickory-flavored sauce? where would I find it in the grocery store? thanks."
"This dish is so much better than the fairly simple ingredients suggest. It is also very simple to make. I recommend it with no reservations."
"Cornmeal is found in the baking aisle near the flour. "
"OK maybe I'm an idiot but I could not find cornmeal at the grocery store. So I just used a box of corn bread muffin mix. It worked. Should I be looking in the baking section or the ethnic foods?I agree with previous poster. I have a 3 1/2 and 22 mo. who loved eating this."
"This dish was positively delicious! I chose to bake mine in a deep casserole dish, and the crust turned out perfect. It was one of my favorites in a long time, and I will definately be making this one again and again. Even my picky 5 year old and 18 month old loved it! Thanks for such a delicious recipe!"