Western Beef and Corn Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup hickory-flavored sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining filling ingredients; set aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and egg.
- Spread crust mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Western Beef and Corn Casserole(8)
Sort By :
Great recipe but I changed out salsa for the tomato sauce and added black beans. I also used a box of corn bread and added a little flour (it was too runny) and added the corn bread to the bottom and sides. This was great the night of and maybe even better the next day!
The online recipe is missing part of the sentence that should say "1/2 cup hickory-flavored or regular bbq sauce". Kind of an important phrase to be missing! I cut out the original recipe so have it in print. I have made this many times! I make one and half times the cornbread base and bake it in a 9 X 13 pan. Sometimes I add a can of black beans (drained & rinsed). Use 1 cup of frozen corn instead of canned. This is fantastic!
Hickory sauce would be a commercial barbecue sauce flavor. I use KC Masterpiece Hickory in this recipe and it's great.
this looks good but I have a question. what is hickory-flavored sauce? where would I find it in the grocery store? thanks.
This dish is so much better than the fairly simple ingredients suggest. It is also very simple to make. I recommend it with no reservations.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Casserole >
- Corn Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >