Western Beans Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 1. Lightly fry bacon in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan. Add onion; cook until transparent. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring once or twice. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 cup: 169 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Western Beans
"We absolutely loved this dish!"
"this a keeper, and definately will make again."
"Great for potlucks, these beans keep well in a crockpot and are even better the next day."