I've made these zesty beans many times for picnics and potlucks—they're hearty and zippy with chili pepper and the extra flavor of lentils in the ban mix. The recipe can be made ahead and heated before serving.
—Arthur Morris, Washington, Pennsylvania
8-10 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- Lightly fry bacon in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan. Add onion; cook until
- transparent. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat
- for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring once or twice.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 317 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein.