I've made these zesty beans many times for picnics and potlucks—they're hearty and zippy with chili pepper and the extra flavor of lentils in the ban mix. The recipe can be made ahead and heated before serving. —Arthur Morris, Washington, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 36 Savory Suppertime Pies
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- Lightly fry bacon in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan. Add onion; cook until transparent. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring once or twice. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Western Beans in Taste of Home February/March 1993, p57
Reviews for Western Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2015
"We absolutely loved this dish!"
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2012
"this a keeper, and definately will make again."
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2011
"Great for potlucks, these beans keep well in a crockpot and are even better the next day."