Westerfield Wassail Recipe
- 32 ounces cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 12 to 24 whole allspice
- 2 cups red wine, optional
- 1. In large saucepan, combine cranberry juice, apple juice and sugar. Fill a square of cheesecloth with the lemon slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice; tie closed and place in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Remove spice-filled cheesecloth and discard. Stir in wine, if desired, and heat through (do not boil). Serve warm. Yield: 12-1/2 cups.
1 cup: 113 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (29g sugars, trace fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Westerfield Wassail
"My brother-in-law left a bottle of Merlot with us after Christmas. My husband and I do not care for Merlot (too dry) so I tried using it in this recipe, hoping the fruit juices and sugar would offset the dryness of the Merlot. It turned out FABULOUS! We loved it. My husband had talked about giving away the bottle of wine, but now he says, "We're NOT giving that away.""
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.