—Jim and Marilyn Westerfield, Freeburg, Illinois
- 32 ounces cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 12 to 24 whole allspice
- 2 cups red wine, optional
- In large saucepan, combine cranberry juice, apple juice and sugar. Fill a square of cheesecloth with the lemon slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice; tie closed and place in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove spice-filled cheesecloth and discard. Stir in wine, if desired, and heat through (do not boil). Serve warm. Yield: 12-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Westerfield Wassail in Country December/January 1993, p39
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Westerfield Wassail
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review