West Virginia Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1. Place potatoes and parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash potato mixture. Add the milk, butter, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mash until combined.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mint, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, allspice and remaining pepper. Crumble lamb over mixture and mix well.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in oil over medium heat until tender. Add lamb mixture; cook and stir until lamb is no longer pink; drain.
- 4. Place lamb mixture in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with peas. Spread potato mixture over peas. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 402 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 538 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.