West Virginia Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- 1. Place potatoes and parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash potato mixture. Add the milk, butter, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mash until combined.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mint, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, allspice and remaining pepper. Crumble lamb over mixture and mix well.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in oil over medium heat until tender. Add lamb mixture; cook and stir until lamb is no longer pink; drain.
- 4. Place lamb mixture in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; sprinkle with peas. Spread potato mixture over peas. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 402 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for West Virginia Shepherd's Pie
"Love this recipe! My first time using ground lamb. Lamb, mint, nutmeg and rosemary flavors go well together. Irish restaurant flavors."