West Tennessee Corn Bread
My husband never liked corn bread until I started making this recipe - then he'd eat half of it. I like to serve it piping hot with lots of real butter on the side.
-Betty Kaytis, Elizabethton, Tennessee
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, mayonnaise, buttermilk and oil until
- smooth. Combine the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt; add to
- egg mixture and beat just until combined.
- Grease an ovenproof 6-in. skillet or round baking dish; dust with
- cornmeal. Add batter. Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 659 calories, 33 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 1,106 mg sodium, 80 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein.