West Coast Snappy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
Stir in tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, jalapenos, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, steak seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without optional toppings): 288 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 2 lean meat
Reviews for West Coast Snappy Joes
"Great sandwich! Tons of flavor - whole family loved it!"
"We enjoyed this different take on sloppy Joes. We definitely thought it was much better with avocado, cheese and sour cream."
"Nice twist on the normal sloppy joe. Tons of flavor!"