West Coast Snappy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
Stir in tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, jalapenos, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, steak seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without optional toppings) equals 288 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 575 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.