West Coast Potato Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1. Place potatoes in a large bowl and set aside. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine 3 tablespoons lemon juice, oil, parsley, salt if desired and pepper; shake well. Pour over potatoes and toss gently. Add celery and onions; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Add to potato mixture.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard, thyme, tarragon and remaining lemon juice; gently fold into salad. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with fat-free sour cream and without salt) equals 80 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.