West African Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown steak and onions in oil. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 2. Stir in the cabbage, green peppers and zucchini. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Just before serving, stir in peanut butter and sprinkle with cayenne. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without cooked rice) equals 255 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.