Welsh Tea Cakes Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup dried currants
- Additional sugar, optional
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the sugar, oats and nutmeg. Stir in the eggs and milk. Fold in currants.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Welsh Tea Cakes in Taste of Home June/July 2002, p57
Reviews for Welsh Tea Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 28, 2012
"Very good. Not too sweet. I thought it needed more spice, so added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. I plan to try adding ginger as well."