- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup dried currants
- Additional sugar, optional
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the sugar, oats and nutmeg. Stir in the eggs and milk. Fold in currants.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Welsh Tea Cakes in Taste of Home June/July 2002, p57
Reviews for Welsh Tea Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 28, 2012
"Very good. Not too sweet. I thought it needed more spice, so added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. I plan to try adding ginger as well."