- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips and additional sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Add tomatoes, broth, beans, corn, taco seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat. Stir in rice and sour cream; heat through. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Weeknight Taco Soup
"I found this to be both easy and tasty. However, in order for it to have some authenticity I did not add the peppers as listed in the recipe, substituted chopped green chilies.. And, totally omitted the rice since I have never been served any Mexican soup with rice in it."
"Will make this with Minute Rice Medley, which I use for almost every recipe that calls for rice."
"I just made this soup ~ the taste testing proves what the other reviewers have found: a quick, delicious weeknight meal. Like the others, I made slight modifications: 4 c chicken stock (what I had on hand), omitted fresh peppers, added roasted red peppers from a jar (1/2 c finely diced), used diced tomatoes with chipotle, and added roasted diced green chiles I had previously frozen (1/3 c or about 1 4oz can undrained). I thought it was a fantastic meatless dish ~ the beans give it a good "fill your tummy" texture like meat would if added. I'm serving it with the suggested options along with fresh cilantro and lime. dinner will be early at our home this evening!"