- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips and additional sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, broth, beans, corn, taco seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat. Stir in rice and sour cream; heat through. Serve with toppings as desired. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Weeknight Taco Soup
Sort By :
"I just made this soup ~ the taste testing proves what the other reviewers have found: a quick, delicious weeknight meal. Like the others, I made slight modifications: 4 c chicken stock (what I had on hand), omitted fresh peppers, added roasted red peppers from a jar (1/2 c finely diced), used diced tomatoes with chipotle, and added roasted diced green chiles I had previously frozen (1/3 c or about 1 4oz can undrained). I thought it was a fantastic meatless dish ~ the beans give it a good "fill your tummy" texture like meat would if added. I'm serving it with the suggested options along with fresh cilantro and lime. Dinner will be early at our home this evening!"
"This soup was very tasty. Hubby and son loved it. Took it to work for lunch the next day, still yummy. Girls in work asked for recipe. I used chicken broth instead of vegetable. I think next time I will add ground meat."
"YUMMY! This taco soup is the best. I added 4 cups of vegetable broth instead of 3. I did not add the sour cream but rather decided to just serve it on the side along with the cheese. I served it with french baquette bread. Will definitely make it again. Family loved! It's excellent leftover."