- 1/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 pound cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. Add sausage and ham; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until browned and chicken is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in remaining oil until tender. Add chilies and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and reserved chicken mixture; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Weeknight Jambalaya in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p21
Reviews for Weeknight Jambalaya
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2010
Very easy and Yummy! Everyone really liked it. I made it for Super Bowl yesterday, in honor of the New Orleans Saints... and will definately make it again!