- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese. Spread 2 cups meat sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, half of the cottage cheese mixture and half of the remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Weekday Lasagna
"Fun to make, but more time-consuming than advertised.I lacked spagetti sauce mix, and so i dumped in some spices (paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, basil, oregano) and some extra spagetti sauce that I had... not the best idea, since the sauce was of a thinner consistency than I would have liked. If you run into the same problem, I suggest that you replace the water with spagetti sauce instead.The outcome was good, but I probably would search for another recipe to experiment with..."
"This is a great, tasty and quick to prepare lasagna. I added a dash of crushed red pepper flakes to give a bit of zip to the sauce but other than that this, as my husband would say is a "rock solid meal". I will be preparing this in the near future!"
"Good, fast and easy. I added green pepper. Next time, I will add spinach too."
"Takes a couple of hours total, so not a quick weekday meal, but good regardless. Would make again and try with a whole-grain noodle....I wonder if it would get done without being pre-cooked."
"I didn't have the spaghetti sauce mix,so I substituted 1 3/4 jar spaghetti sauce in place of the water. As another reviewer suggested, I added garlic to the meat sauce and Italian seasoning to the cottage cheese. Next time I will use turkey instead of ground beef.It was time consuming, but I made It on a Friday nite, so it didn't matter. Next time I will make the sauce the night before. It was very good. Hubby really liked it,and hecan be really picky!!"