Beef stew capped with flaky puff pastry adds comfort and joy to the weeknight menu. Make a salad and call your crowd to the table. —Daniel Anderson, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated beef roast au jus
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetables for stew
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unfold puff pastry. Using a 4-in. round cookie cutter, cut out four circles. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, shred beef with two forks; transfer to a large saucepan. Add tomatoes, vegetables and pepper; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Ladle stew into four bowls; top each with a pastry round. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Weekday Beef Stew in Taste of Home December 2015, p25
Reviews for Weekday Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 8, 2016
"Quick, easy and delicious. Good for those busy weeknights."