Wedding Soup Recipe
“My family loves this quick and easy version of Italian wedding soup," says Kimberly Parker of North Olmsted, Ohio. "They ask for it frequently, and my son begs for me to put any leftovers in his lunchbox.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups acini di pepe pasta or small pasta shells
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup onion and bread crumbs. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and remaining onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add the spinach, broth, chicken, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved meatballs. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 342 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,131 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC