“My family loves this quick and easy version of Italian wedding soup," says Kimberly Parker of North Olmsted, Ohio. "They ask for it frequently, and my son begs for me to put any leftovers in his lunchbox.”
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups acini di pepe pasta or small pasta shells
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup onion and bread crumbs. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and remaining onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add the spinach, broth, chicken, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and reserved meatballs. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wedding Soup in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p49
Reviews for Wedding Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review