Watermelon Sugar Cookies Recipe
I made these cookies for my daughter's kindergarten class, and they were an instant hit. The students loved these frosted treats and gobbled them up!—Diane Hunt, Camden, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:51 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- Red and green food coloring
- Miniature chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. On a heavily floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. round cookie cutter; cut circles in half. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned and cookies are set. Cool on wire racks.
- 4. Place two-thirds of the frosting in bowl; add red food coloring. Add green food coloring to the remaining frosting. Spread pink frosting on tops of cookies. Frost the edges with green frosting, using a pastry bag with a small star tip if desired. Place chocolate chips randomly over the pink frosting for seeds. Yield: about 8-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 122 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC