- 1 large watermelon
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- Swedish Fish candies, optional
- Using a large sharp knife, cut off one end of the watermelon so that watermelon stands at an angle. Using a razor blade or small knife, score an opening for the mouth. With knife, cut out and remove mouth. Cut out triangles for teeth; remove rind from teeth.
- For shark fin, cut a triangle from removed rind; attach to shark with toothpicks. For eyes, attach two grapes with toothpicks.
- Remove fruit from inside watermelon; cut into cubes. In a large bowl, combine watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries and remaining grapes. Finely grate peel from oranges and squeeze juice. In a small bowl, mix preserves, orange juice and peel; add to fruit and toss gently.
- Stand shark on a platter. Fill opening with some of the fruit mixture; add a few Swedish Fish if desired. Serve with remaining fruit. Yield: 32 servings.
Reviews for Watermelon Shark
"So fun to make! Big hit for Shark Week viewing party!"
"Big hit at Grad Party."
"my mother used to make these so many years ago when she cooked for wedding parties.. She would also make for our family. Realy a great touch to a picnic"