- 1 large watermelon
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 medium cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 jar (12 ounces) pineapple preserves
- Swedish Fish candies, optional
- Using a large sharp knife, cut off one end of the watermelon so that watermelon stands at an angle. Using a razor blade or small knife, score an opening for the mouth. With knife, cut out and remove mouth. Cut out triangles for teeth; remove rind from teeth.
- For shark fin, cut a triangle from removed rind; attach to shark with toothpicks. For eyes, attach two grapes with toothpicks.
- Remove fruit from inside watermelon; cut into cubes. In a large bowl, combine watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries and remaining grapes. Finely grate peel from oranges and squeeze juice. In a small bowl, mix preserves, orange juice and peel; add to fruit and toss gently.
- Stand shark on a platter. Fill opening with some of the fruit mixture; add a few Swedish Fish if desired. Serve with remaining fruit. Yield: 32 servings.
Reviews for Watermelon Shark(3)
Sort By :
I made this for our VBS refreshment table. We had a sea theme with Noah and Jonah as part of the lessons. I added blue tinted coconut around the bottom of the tray for a water look and gummy sharks swimming in /on the coconut. Everyone loved it, both kids and adults. It is not as hard as it looks to make.
My shark was a hit. It had more interest from adults than the two children that were at the picnic. I could not find a long watermelon and had to go with the most oval shape watermelon in the store. The mouth just ended up closer to the serving tray. It did take more like 1 1/2 hours to finish. But it was well worth the effort. You could easily make it into a whale by not cutting the teeth and making a tail instead of a fin.
More Recipe Collections
- Berry Recipes >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Salad Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Salad Recipes >
- Fruit Salad Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Salad Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Salads >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Salad Recipes >
- Salads >