Watermelon Rind Pickles Recipe
"Waste not, want not" has always been smart advice—especially when it produces results that are so refreshing. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 8 cups sliced peeled watermelon rind (2-in. x 1-in. pieces)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup canning salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 6 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), divided
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- Place rind in a large nonreactive bowl; stir in water and salt. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Rinse and drain well.
- In a Dutch oven, mix sugar, vinegar, 2 cinnamon sticks, cloves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Add rinds; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until tender. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Add a remaining cinnamon stick to each jar. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 pints.
Originally published as Watermelon Rind Pickles in Taste of Home Recipes Across America 2013, p147
Reviews for Watermelon Rind Pickles(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review