I made this cute melon bowl treat for my son's 3rd birthday. Our theme was the movie, Cars. —Camile Hixon Galena, Ohio
- 2 ounces white candy coating
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 2 Oreo cookies
- 2 mini Oreo cookies
- 1 large watermelon
- 4 lemon slices
- 4 lime slices
- 1 medium cantaloupe, cut into balls or cubes
- 1 medium honeydew, cut into balls or cubes
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat candy coating and shortening, uncovered, at 30% power for 3-4 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. For eyes, coat the large cookies with candy coating; place a miniature cookie in the center of each for pupil. Place on waxed paper to harden.
- With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of watermelon so it sits flat. Beginning above center at one end of melon, lightly score a horizontal cutting line (leaving a fourth of the opposite end unmarked). Repeat on other side of melon.
- With a long sharp knife, make a vertical cut from top of melon to end of cutting marks. Cut along the cutting mark, making sure to cut all the way through. Gently pull off cut section; cut a thin slice for a spoiler. Trim spoiler piece to fit smoothly against the end of the melon; attach with three toothpicks.
- Remove fruit from the cut section and from inside the melon; cut into balls or cubes and set aside.
- Using a sharp razor blade, carefully carve a smile in the front of the watermelon; carve a number in the side and add other designs if desired. For wheels, attach lemon and lime slices to each side of melon with toothpicks. Attach cookie eyes with toothpicks.
- In a large bowl, combine the cantaloupe, honeydew and reserved watermelon. Spoon into car. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Watermelon Race Car in Taste of Home June/July 2007, p12
Reviews for Watermelon Race Car
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 21, 2010
"Great directions that are easy to follow. The kids loved the race car!"
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2009
"This looks really cute, but how did you get the melon balls to look so perfectly round??"