Say a sweet ‘ciao’ to summer with this light and airy Italian treat from our Test Kitchen! Serve in pretty glasses garnished with wedges of cantaloupe or mint sprigs.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- Small watermelon wedges, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Cook and stir
- until sugar is dissolved; set aside. In a blender, process
- watermelon in batches until smooth. Strain; discard pulp and seeds.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square dish; stir in sugar mixture. Cool to
- room temperature.
- Freeze for 1 hour; stir with a fork. Freeze 2-3 hours longer or until
- completely frozen, stirring every 30 minutes. Stir granita with a
- fork just before serving; spoon into dessert dishes. Garnish with
- melon wedges if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 151 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.