Watermelon Cake Recipe
No one will ever guess how simple this make-ahead melon is to assemble. After one bite of the showstopping cake, kids of all ages will be lining up for a second slice of the sweet sensation.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups prepared vanilla or cream cheese frosting, divided
- Red and green gel food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating. Place 1-1/4 cups frosting in a bowl; tint red. Tint remaining frosting green.
- 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red frosting to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake. Frost top with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with green frosting.
- 5. Cut a 1/4-in. hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag. Fill the bag with reserved white frosting. Pipe around top edge of cake where green and pink frostings meet. For seeds, insert chocolate chips upside down into cake top. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC