No one will ever guess how simple this make-ahead melon is to assemble. After one bite of the showstopping cake, kids of all ages will be lining up for a second slice of the sweet sensation.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups prepared vanilla or cream cheese frosting, divided
- Red and green gel food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, eggs and oil;
- beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating. Place 1-1/4 cups
- frosting in a bowl; tint red. Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red
- frosting to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake. Frost top
- with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 in. of edges. Frost sides
- and top edge of cake with green frosting.
- Cut a 1/4-in. hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag. Fill the