"I cut a watermelon into a basket shape, then fill it with melon balls to serve with a creamy dip," say field editor Christine Johnson of Ricetown, Kentucky.
32 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 large watermelon (10 pounds)
- 1 medium honeydew, cut into balls
- 3 cups white cranberry juice
- 1 cup Light Corn Syrup Corn Syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- FRUIT DIP:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of watermelon with a sharp knife so
- it sits flat. Mark horizontal cutting line 2 in. above center and
- around the melon.
- For handle, score a 1-1/2-in.-wide strip across the top of melon,
- connecting both sides to the horizontal line. With a long sharp
- knife, cut all the way through the rind above the cutting line in a
- zigzag pattern.
- Carefully lift off the side pieces. Remove fruit from both sections
- and cut into balls. Refrigerate the basket.
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon and honeydew balls. In another