- 1 large watermelon (10 pounds)
- 1 medium honeydew, cut into balls
- 3 cups white cranberry juice
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- FRUIT DIP:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of watermelon with a sharp knife so it sits flat. Mark horizontal cutting line 2 in. above center and around the melon.
- For handle, score a 1-1/2-in.-wide strip across the top of melon, connecting both sides to the horizontal line. With a long sharp knife, cut all the way through the rind above the cutting line in a zigzag pattern.
- Carefully lift off the side pieces. Remove fruit from both sections and cut into balls. Refrigerate the basket.
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon and honeydew balls. In another bowl, whisk cranberry juice, corn syrup and lime juice until blended; pour over melon balls. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Drain; spoon melon into watermelon basket. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and milk until smooth. Beat in sugar, lemon juice and cardamom; serve with melon. Yield: 32 servings.
Originally published as Watermelon Basket in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p5
Reviews for Watermelon Basket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 3, 2013
"The presentation was beautiful and I used 7 different fruits to give the basket more variety."
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2012