Watermelon Ambrosia Recipe
Colorful watermelon, pineapple, fruit cocktail, maraschino cherries and more are combined in this eye-catching fruit salad that's sure to take center stage at your next summer buffet! The recipe comes from Sandy Leversee of Apache Junction, Arizona.
- 1 medium watermelon
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sugar fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup diet lemon-lime soda, chilled
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Cut watermelon into basket (see box below). Remove fruit from both sections of the top. Remove fruit from basket with a melon baller. Set aside 3 cups of melon balls (save remaining melon for another use).
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, fruit cocktail, oranges, cherries, marshmallows and reserved watermelon balls. Add soda; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Just before serving, stir in coconut. Spoon into watermelon basket. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 116 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC