Washington State Apple Pie Recipe
This pie won Grand Champion in the Apple Pie category at the 1992 Okanogan County Fair. The pie looks traditional, but making your own filling gives it a different flair and great taste. —Dolores Scholz, Tonasket, Washington
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 to 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the apples, water and lemon juice; cook over medium-low heat just until the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and cool (do not drain).
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Place bottom pastry in pie plate; add apple mixture. Cover with top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-45 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC