- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 to 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, water and lemon juice; cook over medium-low heat just until the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and cool (do not drain).
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Place bottom pastry in pie plate; add apple mixture. Cover with top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-45 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Washington State Apple Pie
"This has been my go-to apple pie recipe for years. Cooking the apples before baking the pie ensures that there will not be an empty space under the top crust. Sometimes I use a crumb topping for a Dutch apple pie. In summer I substitute 6 cups of peeled, seeded and sliced zucchini to make an "apple" pie. Just add an extra 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and make as directed. No one can tell it isn't apples!"
"this is the only one I now make- it is good every time. I even make the filling and freeze it in a ziplock- to bake later. It is the perfect sweet tart flavor"
"So easy to make! I substituted Splenda brown sugar for regular brown sugar, but otherwise made as directed."
"I made this recipe and my Dad, who hates apple pie, LOVED IT. thumbs up!!"
"I have made this a couple of times in recent years to rave reviews. I just returned from a family dinner to which I took a different apple pie. Everyone said it was good, but commented that the other apple pie is the best apple pie ever (referring to this recipe)."