Washington State Apple Pie Recipe
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 to 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, water and lemon juice; cook over medium-low heat just until the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and cool (do not drain).
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Place bottom pastry in pie plate; add apple mixture. Cover with top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-45 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Washington State Apple Pie(6)
Sort By :
I have been making this fabulous pie since you first published it in you magazine. It is the best!
This was the best apple pie I've ever made. I believe that taking the extra step to cook the apples just enough was the key to this recipe. The apples were still in tact but they were soft and delicious, and the crust was perfect in the 35-40 minute cooking time. I did not start at 450 for 10 minutes because I don't like my crust to be too brown.
p.s. I used 2 tablespoons of apple juice instead of water and I dotted with 2 tablespoons of butter before covering with top pastry.
I baked this recipe for the first time at a harvest fair entry in an apple pie contest. I won first place with rave reviews!! Absolutely delish!
I make this pie every chance I get or any time there are some apples just sitting around. I love a hand made crust so I just use my own recipe for that. The filling I use goldens they hold up ok and taste devine. My family and friends just love this pie. Try it you'll find it's almost impossible to mess up.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Pie Baking >